Printing Money (Bank Notes)
In 1917, the Bank moved its Printing Works out of Threadneedle Street. The new site was the former St Luke’s Hospital for lunatics in Old Street, London EC2 which the Bank had purchased the year before. The hospital was designed in the 1780s by architect George Dance and had an impressive 150m frontage.
By 1920, the hospital was converted into a modern facility by the architect F. W. Troup. It was equipped with concrete floors, three large printing machinery halls and amenities for staff. At the time, it was described as ‘a model of what a state of the art printing factory should look like.’